April 13, 2012

Inspired Dinner Part 3 (Steak & Fries)


The main done to my style. I remember as a kid, getting a (relatively) huge plate with a hunk of meat, mushroom gravy, fries and mash so I decided to change it up a bit for this.


Instead of a typical steak, I pick up some eye fillet at the butchers and I cook it the way I love it: caramelized, dark surface and medium inside. Whack the fillet into a hot pan with some herb butter and keep an eye on it.


Next to it is a wallop of simple butter mash on a square of red wine gel. I saw Grant Achatz's use of gels in his Alinea cookbook and so I thought to myself, "what the hey, let's use some red and see if it works".

Then it's a sauce made up of red wine, cream, mushrooms, a lot of herb butter and a chopped tomato to cut through the butter.

WAM BAM LOOK AT THEM CHIPPIES.


I'm so irrationally proud of myself for making these. So this is based on Heston Blumenthal's 'Triple Cooked Chips' but I obviously don't own a water bath or temprature probe for a makeshift water bath. So heck yah! I finally managed to make cripsy chips with soft insides. *happy dance*

No comments:

Post a Comment