August 30, 2011
(Recipe) Nanaimo Bars
This is an awesome recipe, no baking needed! Just a fridge and a stove. The process is split into 3 parts and will make about 25 neat bars.
1. Line a 23x16cm pan with plastic wrap. Make sure it hangs over the sides so it's easier to fill.
- 115g unsalted butter
- 50g white sugar
- 30g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- 200g crushed digestive biscuits
- 65g shredded coconut
- 50g walnuts (coarsely chopped)
- 55g unsalted butter (room temp)
- 3tbsp milk
- 20g vanilla custard powder
- ½tsp vanilla sugar
- 230g icing sugar
8. Add the remaining ingredients and beat until it's smooth and spreadable.
9. Spread over bottom layer, and refrigerate until firm (30 mins or so)
- 120g melting chocolate
- 15g unsalted butter
10. Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over simmering water.
11. Take off the heat and continue stirring until it's smooth and has cooled down (you don't want to melt the middle layer...)
12. Spread it over the middle layer and refrigerate it until set.
AWESOME CANADIAN NANAIMO BARS.